Monday, August 24, 2009

Surviving!

Last Wednesday my mom left after helping us for 2 whole weeks. It was really sad to see her go, and even worse was the impending doom that now it was all up to me to take care of these two little kids. I was remembering when my mom left after helping when Lincoln was born and how I just cried and cried and thought I could never do it on my own. Now I look back and wonder what was I thinking?! One kid is EASY! I'm hopeful that one day I will look back at this time and say "What was I thinking?! TWO kids is easy!"

Things have actually gone really well. I've managed to shower every day (a definite accomplishment in mommy-world!) and all three of us have coordinated naps on most days. Lincoln is doing well with the adjustment overall - he only gets sent to timeout a time or two a day when he gets a little excited (ie: rough) with baby sister, but loves to come up to Ellie and tickle her or have help holding her. Here they are sharing the Boppy pillow together:


We took Ellie to the beach for the first time this weekend! She really enjoyed it - okay, she slept in her carseat the whole time - but it was fun for us! When we were getting ready to leave Link said "Beach - rocks - windy - cold" I guess he knows what an English beach is like! It was actually beautiful and sunny, and yes, some nude sunbathers were out again [not pictured] :)


Ellie is growing! Last week she was weighed and is already 4.3kg (9 1/2 lbs)! She is a big girl! She is being more awake lately and getting more into a routine with feeding. She loves to be in motion - either in the Bjorn or in the car, and also just loves to lay on the ground and look around. My favorite is when she puts her fuzzy little head on my shoulder and holds on with her tiny hands. It melts my heart! It also melts my heart when I see my two kids together; what could make a parent happier?!


We're looking forward to another good week, and maybe even venturing out with the two kiddos on my own! We'll see how that goes!

8 comments:

Kelly Peterson said...

Aww these pictures are adorable. I like that Ellie is covered in one of the burp cloths I made. ;)
Good luck with your outing! Today we leave for school, so once I get my laptop I will skype you. Love you!

Karen said...

oh Jamie, you gave me a tear this morning! You are a wonderful mommy and I know you will handle two with ease! I love you.

Laura said...

I think that it is so sweet how much Lincoln likes his little sister. I am glad things are going well for you so far with your little ones. Also I am really impressed that you have been able to shower everyday. I didn't even shower everyday when Lily was born. So that is pretty impressive.

Jen said...

so cute. congrats on the coordinated naps. that's the best. great pics. i can't believe how old link is looking! so handsome.

tterb said...

Looks like fun!

Lindsey said...

I love seeing Link hold Ellie. That is so cute. Good luck with the two! It will be easy for you in no time. Hopefully coordinated naps will keep coming!!!!

Shelly Beth said...

I enjoyed reading your UK birth experience. SO different! It sounds like you are doing great with two kids. Yes, showering is an accomplishment! And then sometimes you feel like you deserve a brownie point for actually getting out of the house, right? I hope things continue to do well. She sounds like a happy baby!

Amanda said...

Congrats on your new little one! I enjoyed reading your UK experience--I wish the midwives would make housecalls here! It would be MUCH easier than taking my baby (and myself) out so often while trying to recover from birth. And, it makes me especially grateful for the care we have in the US.

It's funny because I am reading your sentiments about having 2 kids--and I thought, "Yep--2 is easier than 3." Although, every transition is a challenge. It's all about finding the new normal. Hope all continues to go well for you!