Thursday, April 23, 2009

Our Son Named Alex

Last week we went to Preston Park, which is a nice park right across the street from Ryan's new office. The grounds are lovely with well-cultivated gardens with flowers and shrubbery. There is also a big playground with slides, swings, and sand. Lincoln loves the park, and particularly loves sand, so he was in heaven!

There were a couple older boys playing in a little wooden playhouse in the sand who were about 7 and 4. Link came over and wanted to play and they said (in British accents, of course) "What's your name?" [We have been working with Lincoln on answering this question, but without too much success. He can answer "How old are you?" but not what his name is. oh well] so we don't know if he said something or just made a noise, but the older boy said "We can't understand you" (We can't understand much of what people here say either!!) They were still trying to shoo him away, but apparently changed their minds and called "Little one! Come back!" and let him join in their fun. Then one boy said "We don't know his name, so let's call him Alex." Ryan and I were sitting on a bench very close so we could see and hear everything, but we didn't make it apparent that we were Lincoln's parents so we could observe this funny exchange. It was really hard not to laugh out loud!

Soon they were laughing, playing, and ruffling his hair - all the while trying to get his attention by calling him "Alex" which obviously wasn't working very well since he doesn't know to respond to "Alex". Finally the older boy must have caught on that we were showing a little too much attention to them and asked "Is he your kid?" and we said yes, and he asked "What's his name?" and we told him, and he said "Oh, I like to call him Alex."

A while later the boy told me "I wish Lincoln was my little brother" which I thought was so sweet. That's probably the best compliment a little boy can get! So Link is already charming the kids of England!

8 comments:

Lant Family said...

That is really funny! It took us a while to learn to understand the people down here. I still have trouble if I am talking to someone on the phone and can't see their lips or hand motions. I get a kick out of the little kids at church.

Sarah Peterson said...

That is so funny! I can just picture Lincoln running around with the older kids loving the attention and not knowing why they were calling him Alex. I bet those kids were cute with their little British accents!

Kinzie Sue said...

Haha! Oh, the adventures you are already having! If you were going to live there a bit longer, it would be so cute if Link picked up on those little accents... then maybe we should all call him Alex... So cute!

Karen said...

Haha! I love love love that story!

Lulu said...

that is so great! i love how he can play with anyone, anywhere, and get along wonderfully!
that's a quality that's gonna get him places.
and alex is a good name too. lol...so funny!

Emily said...

That is so cute!! Little kids make friends so much easier than adults. Alex is a nice name...maybe you should name the next baby that..or Alexandra. :) Christopher likes to play with the older kids at the park too. We've had a couple of experiences like that also where other kids want to take him home with them. :)

Laura said...

I am glad to hear that you guys are doing so well in England. I am sure that it will take awhile to start to really understand what everyone is saying. Especially to a little kid I am sure that it sounds like they are talking another language.

Dani said...

Oh, that is adorable. He really is such a sweet little boy and so beautiful. I miss him. Like truly and sincerely. I'm not just saying that. I miss little Lincoln. And I miss you guys. I'm going to have to make a trip to Manhattan for REALLLLS when you guys come back to the US.