Monday, April 6, 2009

Once Friend, Now Foe

When I was pregnant with Lincoln I had a few strange food cravings. I was always thirsty and liked drinks that I would never choose when I wasn't pregnant - grape juice, Sprite, and chocolate milk were among my favorites. I also LOVED pineapple! Since I was pregnant during the winter and living in Utah, I had to settle for canned pineapple. Every night I would eat my pineapple chunks/slices before bed and be in heaven. Ryan thought I was a weirdo.


(I also couldn't stand pizza my whole pregnancy! Ryan was so relieved when I would eat it again.)

We bought a delicious pineapple the other day, cut it up, and consumed a large portion of it - perfect! That night I had the most HORRIBLE heartburn ever! I thought I had food poisoning my stomach/chest was hurting so badly, and it kept me up for a good portion of the night. That night I didn't identify the culprit, but last night I had just a COUPLE pieces of pineapple before bed and once again the heartburn hit! Now what can I have for my tasty treat?? Any suggestions on heartburn remedies??

I was so proud of myself for craving fruit instead of cookies or ice cream (not that I don't want those too!!), but it looks like I might have to steer clear of the acidic-type fruits for now.

9 comments:

Kinzie Sue said...

That's so funny. I conclude that it has to do with boy vs. girl. This pregnancy I crave the opposite things. Last time I liked sweet things, and this time I despise sweet (most of the time) and CRAVE anything salty, extra salty. I hope your heartburn goes away, I also experienced that for the first time during this pregnancy. I bet your so excited and anxious to move! Best of luck!!

Lant Family said...

oh no. I have had some heartburn with this pregnancy and none with Lucy. Other then a one time thing after eating wingers. I have just used tums and they seem fine. I love watermelon and canteloup, you could give those a try. Oh and we love those yogurt smoothie drinks.

Chelsea said...

How funny! I totally craved fruit my whole pregnancy! Strawberries, watermelon, etc. But I also really struggled with heartburn. I went through an entire costco container of tums. In general they seemed to help. But I never really found a great solution.

Doug & Stef said...

My doctor in my last pregnancy said I could take Prilosec OTC - and I did and it worked great. Fresh pineapple sounds delish to me right now and I am not even pregnant!

Shelly Beth said...

I had heartburn ALL THE TIME last pregnancy and now experience it many days out of the week with this pregnancy. Lying down makes it worse. I try to drink water if it is bad, take deep breaths. I downed A LOT of TUMS last time, but since they taste like nasty chalk I try not to eat them so much this time around. I guess I just deal with the annoyance. Sorry that is not much help, but you might try the TUMS. Good luck on your move!

Lulu said...

aww man, that sucks. pineapple is so delicious!
can't give you any advice on the heartburn, i never had it (knock on wood).
hope you find your craving fix.
are you still in jc?

gretchen said...

I had heartburn EVERYDAY and always had a bottle of Tums nearby. The only kind I could stand to take were the "Fruit Smoothie" kind. They actually taste pretty good (not as chalky as the regular kind).

For me I had an extreme aversion to gum and couldn't even be around anyone who was chewing gum. I still can't chew gum myself or be near anyone chewing fruit-flavored gum.

Good luck! :)

Emily said...

The heartburn gets me at the end and the only thing I can do is lay down...which is nice to do. :) Are you guys still here or are you in London? We missed you at playgroud today.

Abby said...

This was enlightening...I wonder how much horrible heartburn I could have avoided with both pregnancies, had I paid attention a little. My remedy was Zantac--75 with the first pregnancy and 150 with the second...and I'm a pretty anti-medication girl. Oh, and since we're sharing cravings, lime and cilantro with #1, and potatoes with sour cream for #2. And come the third trimester, an insane amount of sweets with both...still waiting for that craving to subside.