Friday, April 10, 2009

Still Here

Some have wondered if we have finally "crossed the pond" over to the UK - and the answer is no - we are still here in NJ.


Apparently the expatriate process is quite a lengthy and frustrating one, and we seem to have met opposition at about every step. Today's heartbreak was that Ryan and Lincoln's visas went through but mine was held up. (Discrimination against Canadians, perhaps??) Oh, and did I mention that we are supposed to leave TOMORROW?! Of course, it's a holiday for the UK so the consulate is closed - thus holding my passport ransom for the weekend. I seriously weighed the possibility of breaking in Chuck or 24 style, and had a mental image of my pregnant body dressed in all black and a bullet-proof vest swinging in through some window or climbing up an elevator shaft. Ha!

Instead, I coped by sobbing down the streets of Manhattan until Ryan held me and consoled me. The cheesecake at Juniors may have helped a little, too.


Everything will work out eventually. We have new plane reservations and I have a better attitude about the whole situation. Two days is not going to make a difference in the long-run. We're all together, healthy, and the cable hasn't been canceled yet - so life is good!

13 comments:

Jessica said...

i'm so sorry you're having to deal with this! that is such a bummer. i hope everything works out SOON. how frustrating.

Amber said...

Hang in there!

Shelly Beth said...

LOL, I had to laugh at "the cable isn't cancelled yet". At least you can be humorous about all of this. I really hope things work out for you ASAP. Are you leaving all your stuff here or taking it with you? I would imagine this is HUGE move compared to moving state-side. Good luck!

Karen said...

Cheesecake can make everything better, right?! Keep your chin up sweetie, your real adventure is bound to start soon.

tterb said...

I'm so sorry to hear that! I'd be crying, too! BTW, the image of you breaking in was PRICELESS!

Lulu said...

Aww! I like your vision of you in a ninja outfit taking them all out...very cool. lol
It'll all work out...hang in there.

Kayce said...

Please. Bteaking into the consulate while prego is totally Sydney Bristow, Alias style. If you haven't watched that one, you should get those DVD's and watch that when you have to deal with the crappy BBC. (It's JJ Abrams, and all 5 seasons have been out on DVD for a while.)

Hooray for cable in the meantime. It sure has gotten me through some tough times!

Good luck! I'm sorry you had to be Canadien.

afro said...

um...j?

i know i'm probably late

and i should have checked this sooner--but love the updates, whenever I catch up...

and...sending positive visa thoughts your way. link and ry are lucky boys indeed to have YOU on their side.

hang in there

keep moving forward.

the af that is virtual in SLC is cheering you on--EVERY step of the way.

awesome adventure on the horizon for the fam. good luck!-af

afro said...

btw...i TOTALLY dread the idea of the day when I get to pony up and explain the memo pad notice of a birth certificate I've got going on from the tehran hospital.

seriously. the US government has like a zero level of tolerance for documents and paperwork that is less than the US standard.

cheering you on! every step of the way--hang in there. and each day brings us closer to your daughter. :-) whether here or there--she's coming...to bring the sunshine further into our lives.

-af

racharooo said...

Jamie! April snuck up on me and I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye!! I will sure miss you in the ward. It was fun to get to know you during nursery. Hope that all of the travel and moving goes smoothly for you (since it seems nothing has gone smoothly yet). I'm so excited for you guys -- have a great time!
Rachael Sharp

Sara said...

Jamie! Are you guys still here? Yikes! Hope this finds you on the other side of the pond. This just gives people a chance to throw you more going away parties;)

Dani said...

This really made me laugh, but only because I'm so behind on reading your blog that I know you don't feel this way anymore...but the part about the cheesecake and the cable was really funny...sad, Jamie! I'm glad you guys finally made it over to the UK.

Dani said...

Oh and the part of you as the stealth pregnant woman was hilarious too. :)