Friday, July 3, 2009

"Tire, nose"

We were eating lunch and Link was playing with one of his toy cars. He has this weird thing where he likes to take off any tires that can be removed from his toys - I have a bag full of tiny tires that I have collected from him! We were preoccupied with the dishwasher repairman and then we hear "Tire, nose".

Oh, please NO!! I see a car with no tires and search frantically around his high chair for the loose tires. Nothing. I ask the dishwasher guy if he has a flashlight, but he doesn't. Luckily, I decided to ship our 72 hour kits with us over here - which happen to include flashlights and batteries. Also, luckily Ryan was at home today in honor of celebrating the Fourth tomorrow (it's our patriotic right as Americans, right?!) so he was able to put Link in a headlock so I could look up his nose. Yep, a nice little tire shoved up into his right nostril. After some unsuccessful blows we determine it's definitely stuck.

Okay, now what?? We don't even have a pediatrician here yet. Do we go to the ER? Try to find a doctor? Could I possibly pull it out myself?? I reluctantly chose the latter and ran to my huge first aid kit in hopes that there were some nice long tweezers. No luck, just regular ones. Praying for the nurse in me to come forth, Ryan held Lincoln's head while I held the flashlight in one hand and the tweezers in another and went in for the tire. After a couple attempts...I had it!! No damage, no blood, no crying (from me or Link - he was very brave), and no day waiting in the lovely National Healthcare ER.

I will always be grateful for my education and experience as a Registered Nurse...I just hope I won't have too many chances to put my skills to work at home!


PS: Our baby girl is due one month from today!!! (Maybe she'll be better about keeping things out of her nose)

9 comments:

Jessica said...

that is too funny. grace is our only child who has ever stuck anything up her nose -- so there is hope that your baby girl will not be so inclined.

i can't believe you only have a month left! hope it flies!

Emily said...

Wow, you are amazing! I would have been too scared to try.

And I can't believe you only have a month left...you are so tiny!!!! I look bigger than you and I have 3 months left. :)

Lindsey said...

I'm glad you got it! Luckily neither of my kids have done that. You look great by the way. I can't believe only one more month!

Karen said...

Hooray for the nurse!

I did the same for Brett many years ago. Dad thought I was very clever to use tweezers and gently pull!

gretchen said...

Yea for avoiding the ER! I'm not sure I would have tried. :)

Your belly looks so cute! I can't believe you're only a month away!

Shelly Beth said...

Way to go! I love that you were able to rely on and use your nursing skills at home, but I hope Link learns to leave those tires alone! And PS, you look AMAZING. Based on your size, I can't believe you will have another little one next month. The count down has begun! Good luck with everything and I can't wait to hear about the big news!

Maile said...

Cute belly!! I'm happy for you that you didn't have to go the ER. I've never had my kids put anything up their noses that got stuck...Kaia's never done this. I would guess it's more of a boy thing, but I'm not entirely sure.

Suzie Petunia said...

I can't think of any better training that a mom could have than to be an RN! There have been many times I wish I was one. Waverly did this same "disappearing act" when she was about Link's age. But instead of a tire it was a plastic candy wrapper. It DID end with blood, tears, and a trip to the doctor to remove it. How lucky you are to be able to take care these things by yourself... with your trusted assistant, that is.

I can't believe your baby will be coming so soon! We are very excited for you.

Laura said...

Isn't that like a kid to shove something in his nose. though it would still be scary. Good job getting it out. I am impressed!