Saturday, September 19, 2009

Beachy Head

Being very pregnant and then having a new baby hasn't allowed us much in the way of venturing out into the English countryside, but today we felt we were ready to take an outing as a family. We decided to visit Beachy Head - a beautiful spot known for its breathtaking white cliffs...and subsequently the world's most popular suicide-by-jumping location. Luckily, there were no jumpers today, but we did get some amazing views of the HUGE cliffs.


The edge of the cliff is directly behind them - notice no fences or anything!


Walking up to the biggest cliff - I kept a tight grip on Link, I was nervous he would bolt toward the edge!!


The white cliffs extend for miles and miles along the coast.


Link enjoying his "ice wowwy" (ice lolly - what they call popsicles here).

I am not one for heights, and the thought of standing on a potentially-crumbling cliff made me VERY nervous (even several feet away from the edge), but Ryan did persuade me to take one look from the edge. YIKES! Ellie slept the whole time - so I think that's a good sign that we'll be able to take more family adventures!

7 comments:

Karen said...

My heart takes a little start just thinking of those huge cliffs! That place is too scary for me! I'm glad you didn't lose a baby over the edge. I was worried about that last night. Glad you had a fun outing!

Kelly Peterson said...

Jamie, you look so darn cute! So stylish and fit. :)
I have never seen Lincoln look that old! He is growing up before my eyes.
Very cute. Glad you had a good outing.

Sarah Peterson said...

Beautiful, but scary, cliffs! Looks like more family outings are in the near future. How fun!

Lindsey said...

I got the heebie-jeebies just looking at your post. Those things are incredible.

Maile said...

Wow! I can see why you had a good hold of Lincoln. Even though my kids aren't real runners, I would still be nervous to have them by those cliffs. They look gorgeous, though.

Peter Giles said...

I think "ice wowwy" could be a trademark name for a new product. I think Lincoln has good branding instincts! There was a song during WW II about the White Cliffs of Dover

Peter Giles said...

"there'll be blue birds over, the white cliffs of dover, ...and Johnny will sleep in his own little bed again..." that is how the song looks forward to the end of the war.