Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sweet Rewards

I'm not really a baby person. I've never been one to ask to hold babies at church or coo over seeing a new baby in the grocery store. They just scare me a little - so small and fragile and the constant guessing game of trying to figure out what they need just makes me a little anxious. I don't think I'm very good with babies either; some people just have that "magic touch" and unfortunately I'm not one of them.

That said...I love my babies! Lincoln was the absolute perfect baby and I thought I would be in for it with the second one, but Ellie has been wonderful as well. She eats well, sleeps well, and I am getting to the point where I feel like I am "figuring her out" a lot better.

At first, she would get really frustrated sometimes when I would try and feed her, and I didn't know why. Now I know that if she isn't hungry, there is no way she is going to eat. Link would eat any time it was offered to him! When she is tired she likes to be held, binky in her mouth, blanket around her, and cuddled to sleep. I finally got my cuddler! Sometimes when she is fussy all she wants is a little space and just wants to be put on the floor or in her bouncy chair and she calms right down. I'm sure to jinx it, but last night Ellie slept through the night until 6am!! I thought I was dreaming!

I think the very sweetest reward is when babies start to smile. Finally some confirmation that they know you exist and love you!! :) Ellie's first *real* smile was last week and I was able to capture a couple grins. Of course, my pictures can in no way capture the real cuteness of it all.






Ellie must be eating enough, because she keeps growing! She had a home visit checkup last week and weighed 11.2 lbs (90th percentile) and is 23 inches long (95th percentile). I remember thinking that Lincoln wasn't a baby for very long, and already I am starting to see that with Ellie. Here is a 6 week picture:


And we can't leave Lincoln out! Here he is with his newest phase "No pants!" which he requests every morning. No, I don't oblige him every day and he ALWAYS wears pants out of the house, so don't worry!

10 comments:

Lant Family said...

I totally agree with you about babies. Garrett is around the age of babies I like a little better. She sounds like such a sweet baby!

Karen said...

Oh my goodness! Such sweet smiles! Lucky you to get to see them every day!
Love you.

Shelly Beth said...

So cute! Don't you just love it when they start to smile. Then you feel like they are happy and they love you...until that point, you just hope they do ;) Love Link's "no pants." PS: The Bumbo chair is sold at Walmart or Target. Don't know what they have out there like that, but it is pretty common here and you can get them on craigslist, yard sales, second hand shops, etc. I didn't have one with Isabelle, but Aubree LOVES hers. They can start sitting in it when they are strong enough to support their own head. The rest of the seat supports their back, butt, legs, etc. because it is made to form to their little body. It is a great help! Hope you are able to find one.

Doug & Stef said...

I think Lincoln and Weston are similar ages - Weston keeps putting his hands down his pants which makes his pants fall down!! But he gets really mad when they are off. I love that first baby smile and the first baby laugh - they are my fave. I think every mother can relish in more than just the picture - even though she is a doll!

Kelly Peterson said...

Ellie's grin is so precious. Pants off Dance off Lincoln!
I love my little niece and nephew!

Emily said...

Your kids sure are cuties. Do you see a resemblance between them or do they look different as babies?

Maile said...

I am totally with you on the baby thing - I am not a huge baby person in general, but I do love my own babies. Although I also look forward to them growing up a little bit. Asher cried any time we weren't holding him as a small baby, so it was a relief when he got old enough to entertain himself a bit. I'm hoping this next one will be a little easier as a small babe.

gretchen said...

What a sweet post!! I love her smile in the first picture! I'm so glad you're figuring her out and even more glad that she's a cuddler! And too funny about Lincoln. :)

Ryan P Giles said...

Jamie just took our son out of the house with no pants so we can strike that part off...

They are off to get me lunch though so I can't complain :)

Chelli said...

She is adorable!!